-Andrea:Hi. Uh, I have an appointment with Emily Charlton.
你好,我約了艾米莉·查爾頓。
-Emily:Andrea Sachs?
安吉麗娜·塞克斯?
-Andrea:Yes.
是的。
-Emily:Great. Human Resources certainly has an odd sense of humor.
要命。人力資源部還真會開玩笑。
Follow me.
跟我來。
Okay, so I was Miranda’s second assistant…
聽著,我本是馬林達的第二助手,
but her first assistant recently got promoted, and so now I’m the first.
她首席助手近期晉升,所以我現在是首席助手。
-Andrea:Oh, and you’re replacing yourself.
哦,你給自己找替身。
-Emily:Well, I am trying.
但還沒找到。
Miranda sacked the last two girls after only a few weeks.
馬林達幾周內炒了前兩個女孩。
We need to find someone who can survive here. Do you understand?
我們需要生存者。明白不?
-Andrea:Yeah. Of course. Who’s Miranda?
當然。馬林達是誰?
地道口語表達:Human Resources certainly has an odd sense of humor.真會開玩笑。她是說人力資源部的人眼光很異樣奇怪,挑來了一個完全不懂時尚的人做時尚雜志的編輯,自然這也算是一種幽默了。sense of humor幽默感。例如:He is distinguished for his sense of humor. 他以其幽默感著稱。前面可以加形容詞,表示什么樣的幽默感,比如:The fiddler’s crude and irreverent sense of humor was distasteful to him.拉琴人的粗魯無禮的幽默感使他討厭。
注解:
1.have an appointment with和……有個約會
Well, I have an appointment with my customer.
嗯,我跟我的客戶有個約會。
2.promote vt.提升
I was promoted to editor and then editorial director…
我先是被提升為編輯,然后又晉升為編務總監。
3.survive v.幸存
Those organisms that are most suited to the environment will be those that will survive…
最適宜該環境的微生物將會存活下來。
4.first assistant首席助手