All you remember about your child being an infant is the incredible awe you felt about the precious miracle you created.
當你的孩子是個嬰兒時,你所記得的,是你對自己創造出的堪稱完美奇跡的作品,感到不可思議的敬畏。
You remember having plenty of time to bestow all your wisdom and knowledge.
你記得你有大量的時間去傳授你所有的智慧和知識。
You thought your child would take all of your advice and make fewer mistakes, and be much smarter than you were.
你認為你的孩子將會接受你所有的忠告而少犯錯誤,將會比孩提時代的你聰明許多。
You wished for your child to hurry and grow up.
你多希望你的孩子快快長大。
All you remember about your child being two is never using the restroom alone ,
孩子兩歲時,你所記得的,是從不能獨自使用衛生間,
or getting to watch a movie without talking animals.
從不看一部與動物無關的電影。
You recall afternoons talking on the phone while crouching in the bedroom closet,
你記得那些蜷縮在臥室儲衣間跟朋友通電話的下午,
and being convinced your child would be ,
深信你的孩子將是
the first Ivy League college student to graduate wearing pullovers at the ceremony.
第一個身著套頭衫出席畢業典禮的常春藤名牌大學畢業生。
You remember worrying about the bag of M&M’s melting in your pocket and ruining your good dress.
你記得你擔心那袋M&M巧克力糖會在你的衣兜里融化,毀了你體面的衣服。
You wished for your child to be more independent.
你多希望你的孩子更獨立些。
All you remember about your child being five is the first day of school and finally having the house to yourself.
孩子5歲時,你所記得的,是他上學第一天你終于獨自擁有整個房子了。
You remember joining the PTA and being elected president when you left a meeting to use the restroom.
你記得參加家長—教師聯系會,在你離開會議室去洗手間時,你當選為會長。
You remember being asked "Is Santa real?" and saying "yes" because he had to be for a little bit longer.
你記得孩子問你"圣誕老人是真的嗎?"你回答"是的",因為他還需要你的肯定回答,盡管不久他就能自己判斷了。
You remember shaking the sofa cushions for loose change,
你記得在沙發墊子下一通翻騰要找出些零錢,
so the toothfairy could come and take away your child’s first lost tooth.
這樣牙齒仙女就會來把你孩子掉的第一顆牙帶走。
You wished for your child to have all permanent teeth.
你多希望孩子的牙都換成了恒牙。
All you remember about your child being seven is the carpool schedule.
孩子7歲時,你所記得的,是合伙用車的時間安排。
You learned to apply makeup in two minutes and brush your teeth in the rearview mirror ,
你學會了在兩分鐘內化完妝,照著汽車后視鏡刷牙,
because the only time you had to yourself was when you were stopped at red lights.
因為你能給你自己找出的時間就只有汽車停在紅燈前的那小段。
You considered painting your car yellow and posting a "taxi" sign on the lawn next to the garage door.
你想過把你的車子漆成黃色,并在車庫門旁的草坪上立一個"出租車"的標志牌。
You remember people staring at you, the few times you were out of the car,
你記得有幾次你下車后,人們盯著你,
because you kept flexing your foot and making acceleration noises.
因為你不斷用腳踩油門加速,制造噪音。
You wished for the day your child would learn how to drive.
你多希望孩子有一天能學會開車。