拉爾夫·沃爾多·愛默生(Ralph Waldo Emerson,1803年-1882年),生于波士頓。 美國思想家、文學家,詩人。 愛默生是確立美國文化精神的代表人物。 美國前總統林肯稱他為“美國的孔子”、“美國文明之父”。1803年5月25日出生于馬薩諸塞州波士頓附近的康考德村,1882年4月27日在波士頓逝世。他的生命幾乎橫貫19世紀的美國,他出生時候的美國熱鬧卻混沌,一些人意識到它代表著某種新力量的崛起,卻無人能夠清晰的表達出來。
Song of Nature
自然之歌
by Ralph Waldo Emerson
拉爾夫·沃爾多·愛默生
Mine are the night and morning,
我擁有黑夜與清晨,
The pits of air, the gulf of space,
大氣的溝壑,空間的深淵,
The sportive sun, the gibbous moon,
太陽嬉鬧,月華盈盈,
The innumerable days.
數不清的一天天。
I hid in the solar glory,
我躲進陽光的輝煌,
I am dumb in the pealing song,
在隆隆的歌里沉默,
I rest on the pitch of the torrent,
停在洪流的波面,
In slumber I am strong.
我在酣眠中強壯。
No numbers have counted my tallies,
沒有數字將我計數,
No tribes my house can fill,
沒有部落充滿我的房屋,
I sit by the shining Fount of Life,
坐在波光瀲滟的生命泉邊,
And pour the deluge still;
我默默將洪流傾注;
And ever by delicate powers
曾經倚靠精妙的力
Gathering along the centuries
沿著諸多的世紀采集
From race on race the rarest flowers,
一種接一種珍稀的花朵,
My wreath shall nothing miss.
我的花冠上什么都不會逃過。
And many a thousand summers
經過成千上萬個夏季
My apples ripened well,
我的蘋果都成熟得健康,
And light from meliorating stars
變化著的星星閃爍
With firmer glory fell.
撒下堅實的光芒。
I wrote the past in characters
我用巖石的質地書寫往昔
Of rock and fire the scroll,
并焚燒那些紙制卷軸,