■名詞從句作動詞賓語時,前面的that常被省略,特別是在非正式語體中:
I suggested (that) they should drive along the coast. 我建議他們沿著海岸開車。
I hoped (that) I would / should succeed. 我曾希望我會成功。
I know (that) he will be in time. 我知道他會趕得上的。
I knew (that) he would be in time. 我當時知道他會趕得上的。
He thinks (that) they will give him a visa. 他想他們會給他簽證。
He thought (that) they would give him 3 visa. 他本想他們會給他簽證。
I expect (that) the plane will he diverted. 我料想飛機會改變航線。
I expected (that) the plane would be diverted. 我本料想飛機會改變航線。
■在某些動詞 (如answer, imply) 之后則一般需要用that。如:
He answered that he was from Austria. 他說他是奧地利人。
She answered that she preferred to eat alone. 她回答說她愿意獨自吃。
I don’t wish to imply that you are wrong. 我無意暗示你錯了。
The newspapers have implied that they are having an affair. 報紙報道暗指他們有染。
■在較長的句子里,特別在“that從句”與動詞隔開時,that一般不可省略。如:
The dealer told me how much he was prepared to pay for my car and that f could have the money without delay. 那個商人告訴我他準備出多少錢買我的汽車,并說我會立即收到款。