bring,take,carry,fetch
這四個詞都是動詞,都含有“帶”或“拿”的意思,但使用場合各不相同。
Bring作“帶來”、“拿來”解; take是bring的對語,作“帶去”、“拿去”解。例:
Next year you may bring your family over from England.
明年你可以把你的家屬從英國帶來。
Why don’t you bring your girl friend to the party?
你為什么不把你的女友帶來參加宴會?
Next time don’t forget to brig me a copy of your work.
下次不要忘了把一份您的作品帶給我。
Please take these books to the library for me.
請把這些書替我帶到圖書館去。
Take the box away,please.
請把盒子拿走。
Carry表示“運載”、“攜帶”之意,運送的方式很多,可以用車、船,也可以用手甚至用頭;fetch則表示“去拿來”(go and bring)的意思。例:
They are carrying some paintings to the art gallery.
他們正在把一些畫帶到藝術館去。
This bus is licensed to carry 100 passengers.
這輛巴士規定乘載一百人。
Please fetch me the documents in that room.
請到那間房間去把那些文件拿來給我。
Please wait a minute.He’s just gone out to fetch some water.
請等一會兒。他剛出去打水。
現將bring,take和fetch用在一個句中,以便區別:
Take that box and bring it with you,or if it is too heavy for you tocarry it,I’ll send Joe to fetch it.
請注意,bring之后可以接不定式和動名詞,如:
You will never bring me to admit it.或 You will never bring me to admitting it.
在這種場合下,英美人用不定式的居多。bring在這兩句中表示 cause someone to do something之意(使某人做某事)。