SHARON: How can I help you today, Alice?
夏倫: 我今天能幫你些什么,艾麗斯?
ALICE: Well, I came to talk to you because I want to apply for a scholarship.
艾麗斯: 嗯,我來是因為我想申請獎學金。
SHARON: Oh, good. You’re an excellent student.I’d be very willing to help you with that.
夏倫: 喔,好的。你是一個很好的學生。我非常愿意幫你。
ALICE: Thanks. I really appreciate it.In fact, I do need a letter of recommendation for this scholarship.
艾麗斯: 謝謝你。我真的很感激。事實上,我是需要一封申請獎學金的推薦信。
SHARON: What kind of scholarship is it?
夏倫: 是什么樣的獎學金?
ALICE: It’s an undergraduate scholarship offered by the American Minority Students Scholarship Association.I’m eligible for it because I’m Asian American.
艾麗斯: 是一個大學生獎學金由美國少數民族學生獎學金協會所提供。我之所以符合申請是因為我是亞裔美人。
SHARON: Fine. I know about that scholarship.You have to be a student in your junior year,and you have to have a grade point average of 3.7 or higher.
夏倫: 好。我知道有關獎學金的事。你必須是三年級學生,而且你的平均成績要在 3.7 或是更高。
ALICE: I’m a junior now, and my GPA is 3.92.
艾麗斯: 我現在是三年級,而且我的平均成績是 3.92。
SHARON: Excellent. So you’ll have a good chance of getting it.
夏倫: 太好了。所以你有很好的機會拿到它。
ALICE: Well, I hope so. The competition is probably pretty heavy.And they want a writing sample too.
艾麗斯: 我也希望,可是競爭也很大。他們希望要有寫作的樣品。
SHARON: Do you have an essay you want to send them?
夏倫: 你有作品可以寄給他們嗎?
ALICE: No, they want a special essay.I must write an essay on a particular question they pose.
艾麗斯: 沒有,他們要比較特別的學術性文章。我必須寫一篇他們所提出的探討某一特定問題的文章。
SHARON: What is the question?
夏倫: 問題是什么?
ALICE: They give applicants a topic.The topic is, "The Place of Ethnic Minorities in a Democratic Society."My essay must be three pages typed and double-spaced.
艾麗斯: 他們給申請人一個題目。題目是"少數民族在民主社會的地位。"我的文章必須要有三頁紙長,用打字機打好以及使用兩倍行距。
SHARON: That’s a pretty short essay.
夏倫: 那是一篇很短的文章。
ALICE: Yes, but I need to write it by next week.
艾麗斯: 是的,但我需要在下星期以前寫好。
SHARON: Good luck. I’m sure you will do a good job.
夏倫: 祝你好運。我很確定你會做得很好。
ALICE: I came here today to talk to you because... Well, I need to ask two favors.
艾麗斯: 我今天來跟你談是因為……嗯,我想要請你幫兩個忙。
SHARON: Sure. What are they?
夏倫: 好啊。是些什么?
ALICE: First, I need a letter of recommendation.
艾麗斯: 首先,我需要一封推薦信。
SHARON: I’d be happy to write one for you.
夏倫: 我很樂意幫你寫。
ALICE: And second.... Well, I’m not sure if it’s normal.
艾麗斯: 第二……嗯,我不確定這是否可以。
SHARON: What is it? Do you want me to read your essay?
夏倫: 是什么?你要我看你的文章嗎?
ALICE: Yes, if you could.I mean, if you could read it to make sure there are no mistakes.Or maybe you’d have some suggestions.
艾麗斯: 是的,如果你可以的話。我的意思是,如果你能幫我看并確認沒有問題。或是你可以給一些建議。
SHARON: Of course I could read it. That’s no problem. But you need to get it to me soon.
夏倫: 當然我可以看。那沒有問題,但是你需要快一點給我。
ALICE: I will. I want to write the first draft tonight.So I could bring it tomorrow morning.
艾麗斯: 我會的。我晚上會寫初稿。這樣我明天一早就可以給妳了。
SHARON: Alright. If you can bring it to me tomorrow morning,I can talk with you after class on Friday.So I’ll have some feedback for you before the weekend.
夏倫: 好的。如果你明天一早就可以給我我可以在星期五下課后告訴你。那么我可以在周末前給你一些反饋。
ALICE: That would really help me a lot. I’m very grateful.
艾麗斯: 這真的給我很大的幫助,我真的很感謝你。
SHARON: Don’t mention it. I’m always willing to help good students.
夏倫: 別客氣。我很樂意幫助好學生。