原文:Mary:"Everybody calls me a multi-function secretary."
One of her bosses (gives her a pad of paper):"Mary, 耶魯大學的畢業生們,如果我們發言是你們難以忍受的那一種,我深表歉意,不過我想你們為我做一件事。
Please,take a good look around you.
那就是,請你們好好看看自己的周圍。
Look at the classmate on your left.
看一看坐在你們左旁的同學們,
Look at the classmate on your right.
坐在你右邊的同學。
Now,consider this:five years from now,10 years from now,even thirty years from now,odds are the person on your left is going to be a loser.
從現在算起的五年以后,十年以后,甚至三十年以后,你們左邊的這些同學有多少會成為失敗者。
The person on your right,meanwhile,will also be a loser.
你右邊的有多少會成為失敗者。
And you,in the middle?What can you expect?
還有你,坐在中間的你,你覺得未來會怎樣呢?
Loser.Loserhood.Loser Cum Laude.
成為失敗者,以優等成績畢業的失敗者。
In fact,as I look out before me today,I don’t see a thousand hopes for a bright tomorrow.
說實話,今天當我面對著大家,我看不出有什么希望我們可以擁有一個光明的前途。
I don’t see a thousand future leaders in a thousand industries.
我看不出這里會誕生多少各行各業的領導者。
I see a thousand losers.You’re upset.That’s understandable.
你們看上去有點沮喪,這是可以理解的。
After all,how can I,Lawrence"Larry Ellison,college dropout,
話說回來,我,勞倫斯?拉里?埃里森,一個從大學輟學的人,
have the audacity to spout such heresy to the graduating class of one of the nation’s most prestigious institutions?
怎敢如此厚顏無恥,對著美國最高學院府的畢業生們大放厥詞?
I’ll tell you why.Because I,Lawrence"Larry Ellison,second richest man on the planet,am a college dropout,and you are not.
我來告訴你們為什么。因為我,勞倫斯?拉里?埃里森,是這個星球上第二富有的人,是一個輟學者,而你們不是。
Because Bill Gates,richest man on the planet_for now anyway_is a college dropout,and you are not.
因為比爾?蓋茨,這個星球上第一富有的人(至少現在還是),是一個輟學者,而你們不是。
Because Paul Allen,the third richest man on the planet,dropped out of college,and you did not.
因為保羅?艾倫,這個星球上第三富有的人,是一個輟學者,而你們不是。
And for good measure,because Michael Dell,No.9 on the list and moving up fast,is a college dropout,and you,yet again,are not.
還因為邁克爾?戴爾——他在富人名單上名列第九并且正在迅速攀升——也是一個輟學者,而你們不是。
Hmm...you’ve very upset.That’s understandable.
嗨,你們看上去很是沮喪,這是可以理解的。
So let me stroke your egos for a moment by pointing out,quite sincerely,that your diplomas were not attained in vain.
因此,為了激發一下你們的自負,我要真誠地指出,你們拿到的畢業證書也不是毫無用處的。
Most of you,I imagine,have spent four to five years here,
我想,你們中的大多數在這里度過了四到五年的時光,
and in many ways what you’ve learned and endured will serve you well in the years ahead.
你們以各種方式學到的以及忍受的將會對你們今后的日子很有幫助。
You’ve established good work habits.
你們已經養成了良好的工作的習慣。
You’ve established a network of people that will help you down the road.
你們已經建立起自己的關系網,那些人會幫助你們走以后的路。
And you’ve established what will be lifelong relationships with the word"therapy".
你們已經和“治療”這個詞建立起一種終生相連的關系。
All of that is good.For in truth,you will need that network.
所以這一切都很好。因為實際上,你們需要那種關系網,
You will need those strong work habits.
你們需要那些固定不變的工作習慣,
You will need that therapy.
你們需要那種治療。
You will need them because you didn’t drop out,and so you will never be among the richest people in the world.
你們需要它們因為你們沒有輟學,也正因如此,你們將永遠不會躋身世界上最富有者之列。
Oh,sure,you many,perhaps,work your way up to #10 or #11,like Steve Ballmer.
當然了,也許你們按照自己的方式努力,會成為第10號或者11號的人物,就象史蒂夫?巴艾默那樣。
But then,I don’t have to tell you who he really works for,do I?
不過我不用告訴你們他實際上為誰工作吧?
And for the record,he dropped out of grade school.Bit of a late bloomer.
而且從他的履歷上看,他小學沒讀完就輟學了。可以說是個大器晚成的人。
Finally,I realize that many of you,and hopefully by now most of you,are wondering,’Is there anything I can do?
最后我想說,我感到你們中間的大多數,很可能是直到現在你們中的大多數才在思考一個問題:“我會做什么?
Is there any hope for me at all?
對我而言到底有沒有希望?”
Actually,no.It’s too late.You’ve absorbed too much,think you know too much.
事實上,答案是沒有。太遲了,你們專注于太多事情了。你們以為自己什么都懂。
You’re not 19 anymore.
你們不再是19歲的孩子了。
You have a built-in cap,and I’m not referring to the mortarboards on your heads.
你們戴了一頂內置的帽子——我并不是指你們戴在頭上的那頂學位帽。
Hmm...you’re really very upset.That’s understandable.
哦,你們看上去真是太沮喪了,這是可以理解的。
So perhaps this would be a good time to bring up the silver lining.
也許這是帶來一線希望的最佳時機,
Not for you,Class of 2000.You are a write_off,so I’ll let you slink off to your pathetic $ 200,000,a-year jobs,
不過不是為你們,2000年的畢業生,你們已被一筆勾銷,已經沒有任何價值了,你們會去做那可憐的年薪20萬美元的工作,
where your checks will be signed by former classmates who dropped out two years ago.
而給你們簽支票的正是兩年前輟學的同學,所以你們還是離開這樣的工作吧!
Instead,I want to give hope to any underclassmen here today.
不過對于那些還沒畢業的同學,我今天給你們帶來了希望。
I say to you,and I can’t stress this enough:leave.
我要對你們說——我要說的怎么強調都不為過——離開。
Pack your things and your ideas and don’t come back.Drop out.Start up.
收拾起你的行李和你的主意,離開,并且別再回來,輟學!開創你自己的事業吧!
For I can tell you that a cap and gown will keep you down just as surely as these security guards dragging me off this stage are keeping me down...
我可以告訴你,方帽長袍只會束縛你,壓制你——一定會的,正如這些保安一定會把我拉下講臺,一定會壓制我……
At this point The Oracle CEO was ushered off stage.
這時候,甲骨文公司的首席執行官被帶離了講臺
pick up this."
Mary:"Because I have to serve several bosses."
Another boss:"Fax, Beijing, lady. Thank you."
Mary:"And to do a variety of functions."
The third boss:"Mary, it’s the phone."
Mary:"So much to do, and why am I still calling collect? Thanks to this Aficio Digital system. I can copy, fax, and print without leaving my desk. It’s really multi-functional. Just like me. One machine does it all. I can get used to this very easily."
Richon Aficio Digital Multi-functional Systems. By Gilman.
譯文:瑪麗(一直保持著微笑):"它幫助我成為多面手秘書。"
老板(給她一疊文件):"瑪麗,把這個拿去。"
瑪麗:"因為我得為幾個老板服務。"
另一老板:"小姐,請傳真,到北京。謝謝。"
瑪麗:"要做很多事情。"
又一老板:"瑪麗,接電話。"
瑪麗:"這么多的事情要做,為何我還是弄得井井有條呢?這得歸功于Aificio數碼系統。就象我一樣,一臺機器就夠了。不離桌我就可以復印、
傳真、打印,真正多功能。我很容易就習慣了。"理光Aficio多功能系統。Gilman制造。
賞析:實證式的廣告往往最有效。廣告將你帶入產品使用的實地場景中,讓你在感同身受中對產品產生了認同。