美劇里最常用的俚語,這次先和大家分享10句。看看你認識幾個~
1、LET YOUR FREAK FLAG FLY
放飛自我
to let others see your uniqueness
讓別人看到你的不同(放飛自我,張揚個性)
例:
My colleagues were surprised at the Christmas party- I let my freak flag fly and showed them a break dance routine.
我的同事都很驚訝我在圣誕舞會上的表現——放飛自我,展示了霹靂舞。
2、GET OUT OF HAND
失控
when you lose control of things, they get out of hand
當你是對事情失去控制了,就叫失控
例:
The party got out of hand and the guests started to throw bottles at each other.
當賓客們開始朝對方互扔瓶子時,這個派隊就失去控制了。
3、GET YOUR HEAD AROUND IT
理解,相信
to understand something
知道,了解
例:
I just can’t get my head around the fact that Joe is leaving us.
我只是難以相信Joe已經離開我們這個事實罷了。
4、POUND THE PAVEMENT
徘徊街頭找工作
to walk the streets looking for a job
穿梭街頭找工作
例:
I’d been pounding the pavement for months before I found a job in a fast food restaurant.
我已經在街頭徘徊數月了,終于在一家快餐店找到了一份工作。
5、PULL A RABBIT OUT OF A HAT
出其不意
to do something unexpected that may have seemed impossible
做看起來不可能的并且無法預料到的事情
例:
I thought we were going bankrupt, but my partner pulled a rabbit out of his hat and we landed a major contract.
我本來以為我們要破產了,但是,我的合伙人出乎意料的完成了不可能的是事情,我們簽了一個大合同。
6、STEP UP YOUR GAME
迎頭趕上
to start performing better
開始表現的更好
例:
If you want to win this competition, you’ll have to step up your game.
如果你想要贏得這場比賽,你得加把勁了。
7、SHAPE UP OR SHIP OUT
要么好好干,要么走人
either start performing better or leave
表現好一些,否則離開
例:
This is the last time I’m telling you to arrive on time. Shape up or ship out.
這是我最后一次警告你準時到達。你要么好好干,要么走人!
8、BY THE SKIN OF YOUR TEETH
勉強做成某事
When you do something by the skin of your teeth, you only just succeed/ nearly fail
你剛好一點點成功了/你差一點點就失敗了
例:
I hadn’t studied much, but passed the test by the skin of my teeth.
我沒有學很多,但是我低分飄過考試。
9、ONCE IN A BLUE MOON
千載難逢
when something rarely ever happens
指某事幾乎不發生
例:
We used to see him all the time, but now he just visits us once in a blue moon.
我們過去常常看見他,不過,現在他幾乎不來找我們了。
10、PULL YOURSELF TOGETHER
恢復鎮靜
to calm down and behave normally
平靜下來,表現正常
例:
I understand you’ve had a bad day, but pull yourself together and get on with your job, will you?
我知道你今天過得挺糟糕的,但是你得平靜下來,繼續你得工作,可以嗎?