英語有三種語氣,即陳述語氣、祈使語氣和虛擬語氣。陳述語氣用于陳述事實、提出看法或問題等,祈使語氣用于表示請求、命令或警告等,虛擬語氣則表示假想或主觀愿望。
一、陳述語氣
He was brought up by his aunt.
他是由他姑姑帶大的。
He was killed by a grenade.
他是被手榴彈炸死的。
She might be able to help us. 她有可能幫我們的忙。
You should be able to understand this. 你應當能理解這一點。
The President addressed the nation. 總統對全國發表演說。
She saw the president get off the plane. 她看到總統走下飛機。
Latin is a classical language. 拉丁語是古羅馬的語言。
二、祈使語氣
Don’t speak so loud. 講話不要這樣大聲。
Don’t talk so loudly. 不要這樣大聲講話。
Please wake me at seven. 請在七點鐘叫醒我。
Come between nine and ten o’clock. 在九十點之間來。
Come over here and stand by me. 過來,站在我旁邊。
Please come at your earliest convenience. 請在方便的條件下盡早來。
Please accept my sincere apologies. 請接受我誠摯的歉意。
Please accept my apologies for this unfortunate incident.
發生了這件不幸的事請接受我的道歉。
三、虛擬語氣
He looked at me as if I were mad. 他瞧著我仿佛我瘋了似的。
He asked that he be given an opportunity to explain his case.
他請求給他機會解釋他的情況。
But for your help, I wouldn’t have succeeded. 要不是你幫忙,我是不會成功的。
But for the storm, we should have arrived earlier. 要不是碰上暴雨,我們是會早些到的。
You could get a better job if you spoke a foreign language.
如果你能講外語,你可以找到好一點的工作。
We could have caught the train if we had left a little earlier.
要是我們動身稍早一點我們就能趕上火車了。
If I had thought of it would have talked to mother. 如果我想到了我都會跟媽媽講了。
If she had been more cautious, she wouldn’t have made that mistake.
如果她細心點她不會犯這個錯誤。