11. Shoot! 說吧!; 有屁快放!
A: I’ve got a question for you.
A: 我想請問你一個問題。
B: Shoot!
B: 說吧!
"Shoot!" 除了當「說吧!」外, 很多女孩子也用它來代替 "Shit!", 因為覺得后者聽起來不雅。
12. Give it a shot! 試試看!
A: It would be so cool if I can win this contest. I don’t think I’m good enough, though.
A: 要是我可以贏了這項比賽的話會有多好。但我不認為自己夠好。
B: Give it a shot! You’ll never know.
B: 試試看啊! 沒試怎么會知道!
13. Got you! (騙、嚇……)到你了吧!
A: My sister just now called and said she’s moving in with us.
A: 我姐姐剛剛打電話來, 說她要搬進來跟我們一塊兒住。
B: What?
B: 什么!
A: Got you!
A: 上當了吧!
"Get you" 是「(騙、嚇、捉弄……)到你了吧!」的意思。
14. no-brainer 不必花腦筋的事物
A: How do you use this program? It looks quite complicated.
A: 你怎么樣用這個軟件呢? 看起來蠻復雜的。
B: No. Looks can be deceiving. This thing is actually a no-brainer. Let me show you.
B: 不會! 外表有時是會騙人的。這個東西其實很容易(不必花腦筋的)。我玩給你看!
"Looks can be deceiving." 是「外表有時是會騙人的」的意思。也許你的競爭對方把自己抬高, 表現出很厲害的樣子,你的朋友就可以說"Looks can be deceiving. He may be just a paper tiger."來安慰你。
15. work one’s butt off 很努力地(做一件事)
A: I can’t believe all my work is gone just like this. I’ve worked my butt off on this all day.
A: 我不敢相信我的心血就這樣丟掉了!我今天整天辛辛苦苦都在搞這個!
B: What happened? Computer crashed?
B: 怎么啦? 計算機當了嗎?
發現美語里不少口語都跟"butt"(屁屁)有關, 這里的"workone’s butt off" 也是。還有一個"freeze one’s butt off"(冷得把屁屁凍僵)也是喔!
16. push around 驅使(某人)
A. Gary, do you think you can rewrite this paper. I don’t really like the topic.
A: Gary, 你想你是不是可以把這個報告重寫一遍。我并不是很喜歡那個主題。
B: Hey, I’m only trying to help you out. You shouldn’t be pushing me around like this.
B: 嘿! 我是在幫你忙耶! 你不應該這樣指使我喔!