要想在實際生活中聽懂英語,你必須對某些習語非常熟悉。習語在日常生活中得到廣泛使用,因此掌握習語十分必要。你得知道這些習語的真正含義,知道如何運用,爭取成為一名“行家”。
本文將介紹一些當下最常用的英語習語,請記住,知識就是力量。
1. CRUNCH TIME: the period of time just before a project has to be completed and everyone has to work hard
1.關鍵時期:項目竣工之前的一段時期,人人都在加緊工作
I’m not getting enough sleep these days. It’s crunch time at work.
這些天,我從沒好好休息過,畢竟現在正處在攻堅期。
2.LET YOUR FREAK FLAG FLY:to let others see your uniqueness
2.展示身手:讓他人看到自己的獨特性
My colleagues were surprised at the Christmas party- I let my freak flag fly and showed them a break dance routine.
圣誕會上,同事們驚呆了——我一顯身手跳了段霹靂舞。
3. GET OUT OF HAND:when you lose control of things, they get out of hand
3.失控:對某事失去控制,出現混亂。
The party got out of hand and the guests started to throw bottles at each other.
來賓們互相擲瓶,聚會一度失控。
4. GET YOUR HEAD AROUND IT:to understand something
4.集中精力:弄清某事
I just can’t get my head around the fact that Joe is leaving us.
我還是想不通喬為何要離我們而去。
5. DIG IN YOUR HEELS / STICK TO YOUR GUNS: to refuse to compromise or change your mind
5.立場堅定/決不動搖:拒絕讓步或改變主意
My parents wanted me to give up writing, but I dug in my heels and went on to become a famous writer.
父母勸我放棄寫作,但我立場堅定,立志成為一名出色的作家。
6. POUND THE PAVEMENT: to walk the streets looking for a job
6.在人行道徘徊:徘徊街頭找工作
I’d been pounding the pavement for months before I found a job in a fast food restaurant.
在街上徘徊了數月,我才找到這份快餐店的工作。
7.PULL A RABBIT OUT OF A HAT: to do something unexpected that may have seemed impossible
7.另辟蹊徑:做一些讓人出乎意料,看上去不可能實現之事
I thought we were going bankrupt, but my partner pulled a rabbit out of his hat and we landed a major contract.
原以為我們要破產了,但我的生意伙伴另辟蹊徑接到了一個大單子。
8. LEAVE NO STONE UNTURNED: to do everything you can to achieve your goal
8.不遺余力:千方百計實現某事
I’ll leave no stone unturned until I find out who did this.
不管用什么辦法,我都會查出這是誰干的。
9. GET IT OUT OF YOUR SYSTEM: to do something you’ve wanted to do for a long time and don’t want to postpone any longer
9.迫不及待:去做某項盼望已久的事情,不愿再等待
I wasn’t sure how she was going to react, but I had to get it out of my system, so I told her I had found another woman.
我不知道她會有什么反應,但是我等不下去了。因此,我告訴她自己移情別戀了。
10. STEP UP YOUR GAME: to start performing better
10.迎頭趕上:做出更佳表現
If you want to win this competition, you’ll have to step up your game.
要想在這次競爭中獲勝,你必須加把勁兒了。
11. PULL YOURSELF TOGETHER: to calm down and behave normally
11.振作起來:冷靜下來,恢復正常
I understand you’ve had a bad day, but pull yourself together and get on with your job, will you?
我知道你今天不容易,但是振作起來開始工作好嗎?
12. SHAPE UP OR SHIP OUT: either start performing better or leave
12.好好干不然就走人:好好表現不然就走人
This is the last time I’m telling you to arrive on time. Shape up or ship out.
我再說最后一遍,按時上班好好干,不然就走人。
13. CUT SOMEBODY SOME SLACK:to give somebody a break/ not to judge somebody severely
13.放人一馬:給人留有喘息的余地,而非咄咄逼人
I was extremely busy last week. Cut me some slack and I’ll finish the report by tomorrow morning.
上星期我簡直忙到飛起。給我點喘息的時間,明早我就交報告。
14. BY THE SKIN OF YOUR TEETH:when you do something by the skin of your teeth, you only just succeed/ nearly fail
14.僥幸成功:僥幸成功做某事,差一點失敗
I hadn’t studied much, but passed the test by the skin of my teeth.
雖然我準備不多,但僥幸通過了測試。
15. ONCE IN A BLUE MOON:when something rarely ever happens
15.千載難逢:極少會發生某事
We used to see him all the time, but now he just visits us once in a blue moon.
過去我們經常見面,但現在他許久都不來一次。