... had better + V ...
結構︰主詞+had better+原形動詞…
說明︰此句型意為“最好…;還是…為好”。用 had better 來執行和一個<助動詞>一樣的功能。“had better have+過去<分詞>”表“最好已經…”之意;“had best ...”則是“以…為最佳”,比 had better… 的意思還要強調。
You had better consult a doctor soon.
你最好快點去看醫生。
The policeman said to him, "You’d better come with me and tell me all about the accident."
警察對他說:“你最好跟我來,并告訴我這次事故的經過。”
You had better have stayed at home.
你留在家里那是最好。
Hadn’t you better make a market report?
你不認為寫一份市場報告好些嗎?
You had better go to the factory and have a look.
你最好到廠里去看一看。
You had best not accept the offer.
你最好是不要接納這要求。
May you + V ...
結構︰May+第二、三人稱主詞+動詞原形+其他
說明︰此句型意為“祝…”。may 此處表示祝福與愿望,多用於書面語中,口語中有時也用,但顯得較莊重。本<句型>的特點是:may 不是在<主詞>后面,而是擺在句子開頭,使全句成倒裝語序,表達出祝愿的意義。
May you recover soon!
愿您早日康復!
May you succeed in business.
祝您生意興隆!
May our two parties achieve even greater successes in our business.
祝我們雙方在生意中取得更大的成功。
may well + V ...
結構︰may well + 原形動詞
說明︰此句型意為“理當…;大可…”。may 是<助動詞>,well 是<副詞>,后接原形<動詞>。若將 well 置於<主詞>前面,可加強<語氣>。
You may well find that the end of the book is better than the beginning.
你應該會發現這本書的結尾比開頭好。
You may well get angry with him.
你大可對他發脾氣。
She is proud of her son, and well she may.
她以兒子為傲也是應該的。
An unlimited arms race may well increase the danger of war.
無限度的武器競賽當然會增加戰爭的危險性。
Since he can play many musical instruments, he may well be called a man of accomplishments. 他能演奏許多樂器,當然稱得上是個多才多藝的人。
may as well + V ...
結構︰may as well+原形動詞
說明︰此句型意為“最好…;不妨…”。等於 had better,但<語氣>比較委婉。
We may as well leave the table after dinner is over.
晚餐后我們不妨離開桌子。
You may as well keep it a secret.
你最好將這件事保密。
You are not (physically) strong, so you may as well take care of your health.
你的體格不壯,因此最好注意健康。
...may as well ... as ...
結構︰may/might as well+原形動詞 A+as+原形動詞 B
說明︰此句型意為“與其 B 倒不如 A”。相當於“had better A than B”。“may as well ... as”實現的可能性較大,而“might as well ... as”實現的可能性較小。
Since it is raining hard, you may as well stay here as leave.
既然雨下得這么大,你與其離開倒不如待在這兒。
You might as well throw your money into the sea as lend it to him.
你借他錢不如把錢扔到海里去。
You might as well not know a thing at all as know it only a little.
只知道一點點,不如完全不曉得。
I may as well die as marry him.
我與其嫁給他,倒不如去死算了。(我若嫁給他,很可能去死。)
I might as well die as marry him.
我與其嫁給他,倒不如去死算了。(我不太可能嫁給他,也不太可能去死。)
You might as well talk to a stone as try to argue with a stubborn woman.
你與其跟一個倔女人爭吵,還不如對一塊石頭說話。
You might as well advise me to give up my fortune as my argument.
你勸我停止辯論,倒不如勸我拋棄一切財產。
You might as well ask the tree for help as request him to reduce the price.
你與其要他減價還不如求助於一棵樹。