對我們而言,How are you?是非常熟悉的問候,與nice to meet you并列為最早接觸的英文表達。那句Fine, thank you的回答更是張口就來,但是,外國人真的都是這樣回答嗎?
如果你的狀態很差,也會這樣回復嗎?
其實針對how are you的回答有很多種,不同的情景和心情下,回復都不一樣。
I’m fine. How are you?
我很好,你呢?
(這是最保險的回答,有時候即使你狀態不好,也不得不這么回答)
I’m AWAP. (As Well As Possible).
我感覺已經不錯了。
I’m trying really hard to avoid ambiguous questions at the moment.
我現在正努力避免回答這樣模棱兩可的問題。
(Just answer with the same question:) How are you?
(把問題拋回給對方):你好嗎?
I could complain, but I’m not going to.
我可以抱怨,但我不會。
Upright and still breathing.
誠實正直地活著呢。
Thanks for caring babe! Glad to be here with you.
謝謝關心,寶貝!很高興能見到你。
Better than yesterday, but not as good as I will be tomorrow!
比昨天強,但沒明天好。
I am.
還好。
Wondering how you are.
我想知道你過得好不好。
Strange, and getting stranger.
過得很糊涂,越來越偏離軌道。
My usual Devil--‐may--‐care self.
我日常的事情—就是—照顧自己。
I’m endeavoring to persevere.
我在努力堅持下去。
How am I what?
我怎么了?
How do you think I am?
你覺得我過得咋樣?
Do you want the short version or the long one?
你想聽長一點還是短一點的版本?
Eh, you win some you lose some.
嗯,算是有得有失。
I’ll leave that up to your imagination.
你自行想象吧。
Shhhhh. It’s a secret.
噓。這是個秘密。
I’ll let you know when I figure it out.
當我想好了我會告訴你的。
Taking deep breaths.
做深呼吸。
Ready for tomorrow.
已經為明天做好準備。
To tell you the truth, my hurts, but my doc’s working on a solution for me so I’m hopeful.
實話告訴你,我有傷,但是我的醫生正在為我解決這個問題,所以我抱有很大希望。
I’ve been better.
我已經好多了。
Trying to stay positive.
努力保持積極的心態。
Who wants to know?
誰想知道呢?
Not my best day, but not my worst day, either.
不能稱得上是我最好的一天,但也不是我最糟糕的一天。
Let’s just say less than super.
比超級棒差了那么一點點。
Wouldn’t you like to know!
你不會想知道的!
I’m taking it easy.
我在試著放輕松。
Staying grounded.
停滯不前。