Sooner or later
也可以翻譯成“或早或晚”
釋義
When something should happen, but you don t know when it will happen, you can use this term to express that it will eventually happen.
當某件事應該發生,但你不知道它什么時候會發生,你可以用這個詞來表示它最終會發生。
理解了sooner or later的意思之后
這個英語表達應該怎么使用呢?
我們來看下面這個情景對話
例:
?She ll realize that she s doing something wrong sooner or later.
她早晚會意識到她做錯了什么事。
A: "Why does Sarah date so many guys. Doesn t she know most of them are jerks?"
為什么薩拉和那么多男人約會?難道她不知道他們大多數都是混蛋嗎?
B: "I know. She needs to get hurt before she ll realize what s going on."
我知道。她得先受傷,然后才能意識到發生了什么事。
A: "I guess she ll figure it out sooner or later."
我想她遲早會知道的。
B: "Yeah... but I m hoping it is sooner than later."
是的…但我希望盡早而不是晚。
除了上面這個常規的翻譯
我們還有一句話可以表達“早晚”的意思
02It s only a matter of time.
這只是時間的問題。
釋義
used to say that something will definitely happen in the future
用來說某事將來一定會發生
這只是時間的問題,不就是“早晚”的意思嗎?某事肯定會發生,只是不知道什么時候發生而已。
例:
Just give up, it s only a matter of time before I win.
就這樣放棄了,這是遲早的事我贏了。
It s only a matter of time before I find out the truth.
我找出真相只是個時間問題。