On the Feeling of Immortality in Youth
有感于青春常在
No young man believes he will ever die.
年輕人不相信自己會死。
It was a saying of my brother’s, and a fine one.
這是我哥哥的話,可算得一句妙語。
There is a feeling of eternity in youth,
青春有一種永生之感
which makes us amend for everything.
它能彌補一切。
To be young is to be as one of the immortal Gods.
人在青年時代好像一尊永生的神明。
One half of time indeed is flown,
誠然,生命的一半已以消逝,
the other half remains in store for us with all its countless treasures,
但蘊藏著不盡財富的另一半還有所保留,
for there is no line drawn,and we see no limit to our hopes and wishes.
我們對它也抱著無窮的希望和幻想。
We make the coming age our own-the vast, the unbounded prospect lies before us.
未來的時代完全屬于我們—無限遼闊的遠景在我們面前展現。
Death, old age are words without a meaning that pass by us like the idle air which we regard not.
死亡,老年,不過是空話,毫無意義;我們聽了,只耳邊風,全不放在心上。
Others may have undergone, or may still be liable to them-we "bear a charmed life",
這些事,別人也許經歷過,或者可能要承受,但是我們自己,“在靈符護佑下度日”,
which laughs to scorn all such sickly fancies.
對于諸如此類脆弱的念頭,統統付之輕蔑的一笑。
As in setting out on delightful journey,
像是剛剛走上愉快的旅程,
we strain our eager gaze forward-bidding the lovely scenes at distance hail!
極目遠眺—向遠方的美景歡呼!