相關連接詞是由兩個或多個字組成的成對的,在句子中前后相互呼應的連接詞,包括對等相關連接詞和從屬相關連接詞。
對等相關連接詞是表示所連接的部份是同等關系的相關連接詞,如:
both...and(既...又), not only...but also(不但...而且), as well as(和...一樣,也), either...or(不是...就是), neither...nor(既不...也不)。
對等相關連接詞所連接的兩個部份必須具有同等文法作用。
But shopping is both boring and time-consuming.
購物,購物!但購物既沒意思又費時間。
But I think shopping is not only interesting but also relaxing。
但我認為購物不僅有趣而且令人輕松的。
Ok, neither this nor that fits me.
好了,這件和那件都不合適。
English is both interesting and difficult.
英語既有趣又難學。
The room is not only large but also beautiful.
這房間不但大而且漂亮。
We read newspapers as well as magazines.
我們看報紙也看雜志。
Either you or I am right.
不是你對就是我對。
Neither Tom nor Henry went to the bar.
湯姆沒去酒吧,亨利也沒去。
從屬相關連接詞指所連接的部份是從屬關系的連接詞。
so...that (such...that)表示"如此...以致,因為...所以"。
This skirt is so pretty that I like it very much.
這條裙子太漂亮了,我非常喜歡。
Oh, this is such a beautiful skirt that I can’t help loving it.
噢,這是條如此漂亮的裙子,以致于我沒法不喜歡它。
He is so smart that we like him.
他如此聰明以致于我們喜愛他。
He is such a smart boy that we like him.
他是如此聰明的孩子,以致于我們喜愛他。
so that, in order that...may (can, will)表示"為了,以便"。
I want to leave here so that I don’t have to pay for the skirt.
我想離開這里,這樣我就不用為那裙子付錢了。
He practices every day in order that he may win the match.
為了贏得比賽他每天都訓練。
lest...should表示"惟恐,以免"。
But you’d better try them on lest they should not be fitted.
但你最好穿上試試以免不合適。
I closed the windows lest it should rain.
我關上窗戶惟恐下雨。
no sooner...than表示"一...就"。
No sooner had I opened the door than the telephone rang.
我剛剛打開門電話鈴就響了。
no sooner后往往要接完成式的倒裝形式。